Gardening can be a fun and rewarding hobby. But if you’re new to it, you might be wondering how often you should water your plants. The answer is simple: every week or so, they should get at least an inch of water. However, there are some tricks to watering that will make sure your plants stay as healthy as possible. Here are my favorites!
Most plants should receive about an inch of water every week.
Most plants should receive about an inch of water every week. That might not sound like a lot, but if you’re gardening in the wintertime, you can use this rule of thumb to calculate how much water each plant needs during those months. For example:
- If your plant’s leaves are low to the ground and have few branches (like a rose bush), then it will probably need more frequent watering than a plant with tall, spindly stems that have lots of branches (like a cactus).
- Plants with fleshy leaves (like succulents) require more water than leaves with smaller pores that allow liquids to pass through them easily (like grass).
Waiting to water until the next day also helps prevent overwatering.
Watering in the morning also helps because it allows the water to absorb into the ground overnight. When you water in the evening, much of that water will evaporate before it can soak into the soil.
Morning is a great time to water for several reasons.
Morning is a great time to water because it allows the water to soak in before the sun heats up, which can cause your plant to wilt. In addition, watering in the morning helps keep soil cool and moist.
Watering in the evening leaves a lot of time for bugs, including mosquitoes, to feast on your plants.
Mosquitoes are attracted to moisture. They can breed in small amounts of water, such as puddles on your driveway or sidewalk, or in any container that holds a few inches of standing water. In addition to being unpleasant pests in general, mosquitoes can also be a problem for people with allergies or asthma and even those with health problems that make fighting infections difficult.
Mosquitoes can also be a problem for people who have pets (especially outdoor dogs). The insects often bite the animals first and then go after their human companions later. This is why you may find yourself scratching at night when you’re sleeping in bed next to your furry friend!
The best way to measure an inch of water is with an empty tuna can.
To check if your plants have an inch of water, use an empty tuna can. Fill it with water and place it on a flat surface (like a table or countertop). The top lip of the can should be at ground level. If there’s enough water to cover that space between the top lip and ground level in your garden, then you’ve hit the mark!
If you’re wondering how much water is needed per plant: Your plants need an inch of water every 2-3 days during hot summer months and once every 5-7 days during milder temperatures.
Use the tuna can to see if you watered enough.
- Use the tuna can to see if you watered enough. Place your finger in the soil up to the first knuckle (1 inch deep). If the soil feels moist and cool, it doesn’t need water yet. If it’s dry and hot, check again in two days.
- Water plants at least once a week on average throughout the growing season, more often during periods of intense heat or when rain is scarce.
Remember where the tuna can was in relation to your plants.
Your garden will be healthier if you water in the same place each time. This is because the water will soak into the soil better, and it’s easier to remember where to water each time if you have a routine.
So start with a tuna can! Then just keep watering with that tuna can until your plants reach their full size and then…
You know what? Just make sure you don’t forget where the tuna can is in relation to your plants!
Remembering these simple tips will help you keep your garden healthy and beautiful.
The first step in keeping your garden healthy and beautiful is to water the plants.
- Watering the plants in the right amounts, at the right times, using the right tools and watering them in the right places can help keep your garden looking great for many years to come.
The next step is adding fertilizer to their soil so they get all of nutrients they need for growth.
You don’t have to be a professional gardener to enjoy flowers and plants in your home. Just take the time to learn a little bit about watering and you’ll soon find yourself with a beautiful garden that keeps growing all year long!